Not every Mass is going to be a great and deeply moving experience.
Lifelong Catholics may have grown so used to the ritual that they aimlessly go through the motions and find their minds often wander. So, why bother going to Mass?
- Reason #10: To Follow the Commands of God, Jesus, and the Church The third of the Ten Commandments given to Moses by God is, “Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.” Christians observe Sunday as a day of worship and rest in order to honour the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus.
- Reason #9: To Develop and Express Our Faith Commitment Another reason to go to Mass is to develop the habit of worshiping and glorifying God. It is only when we get out of ourselves and live for God and others that we truly find happiness.
- Reason #8: To Gather Together in a Christian Family Living a truly Christian life is not easy and a supportive community is vitally important. We cannot live as Christians just by ourselves. Without fellow Christians, our faith would be stunted, fade away and die.
- Reason #7: To Receive God’s Help and Healing We go to Mass to receive the help we need to live the Christian life. It’s been said, “The Church is not a haven for saints, but a hospital for sinners.”
- Reason #6: To Celebrate With Song Singing has always been one of the most powerful ways to for the community to pray together. In the words of St. Augustine, “Singing is praying twice.”
- Reason #5: To Pray and Worship God Together From the earliest days of Christianity, men and women have brought their deepest needs and desires to the table of the Lord, confident that they will be joined to Christ’s great act of intercession before the Father.
- Reason #4: To Receive the Word of God During the Liturgy of the Word, we hear Christ’s voice in the scripture readings. As Vatican II’s Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy states, “it is He himself who speaks when the Holy Scriptures are read in the Church.”
- Reason #3: To Commemorate Christ and celebrate His Sacrifice on the Cross At each Mass, God makes present and available to us, with lavish generosity, the saving power of the cross. Through the Mass, we offer God our praise, sorrow for our sins, and our deepest thanks for the gift of our redemption.
- Reason #2: To Strengthen Us for Our Mission The Mass provides us with a sense of why we are here, namely to love and serve the Lord and one another. We are to live as Christ lived and act as Christ would act.
- Finally, the #1 Reason to Go to Mass: To Be Filled with Jesus Christ At the Consecration, the bread and wine, through the power of the Holy Spirit, become the Body and Blood of Christ. When we receive Holy Communion, we receive Jesus Himself. He said this very plainly: “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.”
Click to download the leaflet.